The Australian Banana Growers’ Council continues to advocate for farm businesses struggling to find workers in the current climate.
ABGC want to hear how the worker shortages are affecting you. Have your say at the ABGC Annual General Meeting to be held next Thursday 12 November, Tully and District Senior Citizens Club, 19 Blackman Street, Tully, 5.30pm onwards. A member BBQ follows the AGM.
Please contact ABGC on 07 3278 4786 to RSVP for COVID purposes.
In addition, the Queensland and Federal Governments have introduced campaigns aimed at encouraging Australian workers to consider taking up jobs on farm.
New cash incentives
From 1 November, Australian workers may receive up to $6000 to relocate for farm work.
Links on how to apply and more details can be found in the Fact Sheet here.
The #pickQld State Government campaign is focussed on attracting and retaining seasonal workers across Queensland’s agriculture sector. To see what work is available when, and in what regions, visit https://www.qld.gov.au/about/pickqld or call 13 25 23.
ABGC is aware of recent negative media coverage in Far North Queensland regarding the Seasonal Worker Program. We are working closely with relevant authorities to ensure people are informed about the realities of the Program and its importance to both the banana industry and the community more broadly.
ABGC has produced and distributed a fact sheet to address and correct some key concerns raised in media coverage.
Who to contact
If you’re concerned about the workforce shortages, you can contact ABGC on 07 3278 4786 to discuss current available options.
You can also talk to your local QAWN (Queensland Agricultural Workforce Network) officer for further solutions to worker issues.
- South East Qld: Craig Dillon, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 0499 833 868
- Southern Qld: Karen George, email@example.com, telephone: 0408 135 003
- Wide Bay Burnett: Kylie Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 0488 533 801
- Central Qld: Lorelle Stables, email@example.com, telephone 0423 370 368
- North Qld: Julia Wheway, firstname.lastname@example.org telephone 0427 009 929
- Far North Qld: Leanne Kruss, email@example.com, telephone: 0431 743 633.