From 4 April 2022, the Seasonal Workers Programme (SWP) and Pacific Labour Scheme (PLS) will be replaced by a new single Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) Scheme – aimed at simplifying administration and reduce duplication.
Growers will no longer be required to engage with two different departments, systems or processes, with the consolidated program to be managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) with the support
of DFAT’s provider the Pacific Labour Facility (PLF).
The scheme aims to deliver:
• Efficiencies for employers and Pacific governments, with all recruitment and mobilisation activities to be managed through a single IT portal.
• A single PALM scheme visa stream with the option to recruit seasonal workers to fill short-term and longer-term positions.
• Extended visa validity of up to 4 years, with provision for multiple entry to Australia, providing employers with greater workforce stability and giving workers more time to develop skills, complete qualifications and earn income to send home to their families.
• A streamlined recruitment process for approving suitable worker accommodation.
• Improved worker support arrangements and maintaining the importance of worker wellbeing.
For more information go to www.palmscheme.gov.au